Saturday, May 24, 2008

Resident Evil 5 - Part of Capcom's Fiscal 2008 Plan?


Capcom recently unveiled their 2008 fiscal plan, and aside from the usual suspects (Devil May Cry 4 on PC and Bionic Commando on the 360, PS3, and PC), their undisputed mammoth also made the list : Resident Evil 5. That means it should see release by March 2009 (which is when their 2008 fiscal plan runs out).

Will Capcom have their behemoth ready for the holiday rush towards the end of the year, or will the company wait for the notoriously crowded Christmas season to end and then put it on the market? Only time will tell, but if history is any indication, it may see a January release ala Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube. After all, it could make sense for Capcom to put it out during a less cluttered time of year - Metal Gear Solid 3 failed to meet sales expectations back in 2004 due to going against juggernauts like Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Then again, I can't think of any titles that enormous making their way to consoles during the fourth quarter 2008 period, so who knows what Capcom will ultimately decide on?

I just hope that Resident Evil 5 meets my expectations and is not a disappointment like some "other" prominent series that made the jump to a new generation (Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV, I'm looking at you).

Source

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger The Sports Satirist said...

Wow. A March 2009 with RE 5 and God of War 3. Next year can't come soon enough.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So you didn't like GTA4...?

I haven't had time to play any games in the past couple weeks, so I'm still at the beginning of the game... 2nd safe house.

Looks like that haze was a big let down..!?!?

I just want RE5 to kick some arse... so whatever needs to happen for that I will wait for...

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger The Sports Satirist said...

Are you talking to me? I loved GTA 4. Oh, my God. Yes, Haze was awful. I had high hopes for that game. Maybe it is best to wait for Resistance 2.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Ross said...

Funnyman, I wonder what else we have in store for 2009. Hopefully some new IPs as well... Also, I don't think Deitrix was referring to the game 'Haze', more like the haze of hype surrounding GTA IV...

Deitrix, I'm personally having a difficult time playing through GTA IV. I know it received rave reviews, and I loved past entries in the series, but it seemed like Rockstar put more effort into visual details than into the actual game play. The city seemed less interesting than the past three games and there were actually less features than ever.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea man, I didn't like GTAIV either. I haven't sold it yet, so I plan to give it another chance, but still......I'm underwhelmed!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Thomas Mulrooney said...

Ross, the city seemed less interesting? I think they've put more effort into making the city lifelike than they have into anything else. I thought the city would be the least of people's concerns with GTA IV as, to me, it feels incredibly realistic driving and walking around it. Plus, all the little in-jokes and easter eggs you can find.

The cities in the previous three games may as well have been empty because there was no sense that the city actually lived and breathed while you weren't playing in it.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I way behind on playtime right now... I do find GTA4 to be fun... not sure if I will ever finish it or not...? I will keep it in my collection.

Playing Tiger Woods 07 at the moment.. Have an urge to golf.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Ross said...

Ender, you're back! I guess with kids and a wife (and possibly a life...) you don't have as much time for blogging.

Tom, I feel that the city design is definitely less interesting than the PS3 trilogy. It feels realistic in a real-world sense, but that ultimately makes it less fun for me to play. Also, it's not that much more lifelike in many aspects - the NPCs are just as brain-dead as ever. In my opinion it is a step-back more than a step-forward in every aspect other than multi-player and visuals.

It seems to me that more effort was placed on graphical details than on the actual game itself. Also, I found the online play to be far less fun than in Saints Row.

I ended up selling off my copy. I thought it would be a permanent collection piece like past entries in the series, but I was wrong.

Oh well, off to Tiger Woods 06...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2006 PG Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us